Below is a list of books referenced in the Glossary and Timeline. (the numbers might not all be correct). I believe that nearly all will be available n the Library at the University of Northampton, UK. Some of the older books are to be found on line free of charge as pdfs, having been scanned by Google.
1. Leather Industry A Glossary of the Main terms and Processes, Issued by ICI (Dyestuffs Group (undated but probably 1948)
2. The Mistery or Art of the Leathersellers of the City of London Undated
3. History of Technology Leather John W. Waterer, Singer and Holmyard. Undated
4. The Tanner Leonard Fisher, Published by Godine 1986
5. Report to the Leeds Association of the Leather Trade on Leather Manufacture in the United States H.R. Procter 1894
6. Leathercraft in the Lands of Ancient Persia Sylvia A. Matheson Published by Colomer Munmany, SA.
7. A Liverpool Merchant House, being the history of Alfred Booth and Company 1863-1958 A.H. John, Published by George Allen & Unwin 1959
8. The Principles of Leather Manufacture Prof H.R Procter, London, 1922
9. The Manufacture of Leather (quoted from 7 above) C.T. Davis
10. A New and Complete Treatise on the Arts of Tanning, Currying, and Leather-Dressing; comprising all the discoveries and improvements made in France, Great Britain, and the United States. Prof. H. Dussau, cePhiladelphia, London 1865 (easily found as a pdf on line)
11. Hides and Skins John R Arnold, A.W.Shaw Company 1925
12. Practical Tanning Allen Rogers Henry Carey Baird & Co., Inc. New York, 1922 (This book was part of the library of E.Morley Wilson an important mentor and good friend to my family and me in my early career. It was kindly lent to me by Mrs. Wilson.)
13. Clarkson L.A. “The Organisation of the English Leather Industry in the Late sixteenth and seventeenth centuries”
14. The British Leather Industry and Foreign Competition, 1870-1914 R.A.Church
15. Two Years Before the Mast, Richard Henry Dana, Jr Signet Classic, 1964. First published around 1840.
16. The London Encyclopaedia (For information on the Guilds and the Bermondsey Leather Market) Edited by Ben Weinreb and Christopher Hibbert Macmillan 1987
17. The Museum of Leathercraft. John W. Waterer Reprint of the article in the Tudor volume of the Connoisseur Period Guides, 1956 Leather
18. Richardson’s Leather Works. The Workers’ Story. Elswick Local Group, 1985
19. A Brief History of One of Great Britain’s Leading Tanneries. E and J Richardson Undated .Promotional booklet undated
20. From Hide to Sole C.H. Spiers National Trade Press, London 1944
21. The Science of Tanning Nottingham Journal Trade Supplement, January13th, 1922
22. Koninklijke Bibliotheek, National Library of the Nederlands www.konbib.nl.kb/cons/leather/chapter1.htm (2004-no longer working, so let me know if you can find it: it was good material)
23. Watt, A., The Art of Leather Manufacture, 1885, Crosby Lockwood & Co., London
24. Lamb, M.C., Leather Dressing including Dyeing, Staining and Finishing, 1st edition, 1905, Anglo American Technical Co., London
23. Thomson, R.S., Chrome Tanning in the Nineteenth Century, J.Soc. Leather Technologists and Chemists, 1985 69 93
24. Thomson, R.S., The English Leather Industry 1790-1900: The Case of Bevingtons of Bermondsey, J.Soc. Leather Technologists and Chemists, 1991 75 85
25. Thomson, R.S., Bookbinding Leather: Yesterday, Today and Perhaps Tomorrow, J.Soc. Leather Technologists and Chemists, 2001 85 66
26. Thomson, R., Alum in the Leather Industry, J. Soc. Leather Technologists and Chemists, 2009 93125
27. Constable, Olivia Remie. Trade and Traders in Muslim Spain: The Commercial Realignment of the Iberian Peninsula, 900-1500, Cambridge University Press, 1994.
28. Ron Reed, Science for Students of Leather Technology, Pergamon, 1966
29. Shoe and Leather Reporter, Dec 25, 1937, p120-123).